Cooking with Kuji: Lauren Lovatt's Cultured Chocolate Cake
Combine the adaptogenic super-power of Kuji Mushroom and transcendental magic of Cacao Spice. For our last recipe of this series, Lauren Lovatt created the most decadent chocolate cake recipe. We almost forgot… it’s gluten free, dairy-free and raw too!
WRITTEN BY KUJI
22 MARCH 2019
Cultured Chocolate Cake
(Overnight) FERMENTED CASHEWS
3 cup soaked cashews
1 cup filtered water
1/4 cup kombucha
- The day before. Blend your soaked cashews with one cup of water until you are left with silky smooth liquid.
- Pour the mixture in a small glass bowl, add kombucha and cover with a plate or cloth.
- Leave it to sit overnight to culture.
2 cup gluten free (sprouted) oats
1 cup toasted almonds
3 tbsp KUJI Mushroom
1⁄4 cup carob
1⁄4 cup coconut sugar
1⁄4 cup coconut oil
1⁄3 cup coconut water
1/2 tsp salt
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Transfer the dry ingredient mix to a food processor, add KUJI Mushroom and start pulsing the mixture.
- Slowly start streaming in the water and oil to form a dough.
- You’ll know you have achieved the right consistency when you can roll the dough into a ball.
- Press your dough evenly into a lined 12 inch cake tin with a removable base.
Overnight fermented cashews
1/2 cup soaked date
1/3 cup cacao powder
1 tbsp carob
3 tbsp KUJI Cacao Spice
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup melted cacao butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 pinch salt
- Strain the dates and reserve the water.
- In a blender combine your overnight fermented cashews with soaked dates, KUJI Cacao Spice, vanilla and salt. Pulse for a couple of minutes or until smooth.
- Add the cacao powder and carob, blend again.
- Taste for seasoning, add a pinch of salt if necessary.
- Drizzle in the coconut oil and melted cacao butter and pulse until evenly distributed throughout the cream.
- Pour the Chocolate Cream into your 12 inch cake tin over the tart base.
- Leave your cake to rest in the fridge for a couple of hours or until set.
- Once ready, take the cake out of the fridge and decorate with melted cacao, almonds and cacao nibs.
- Serve and enjoy!